The Gas Station Snack Diet
When I was in college, I was low on time, money and energy. I lovingly came up with what I call “The Gas Station Snack Diet,” and discovered that it actually helped a lot of my clients who found themselves in the same pinch I was in. Fast forward 10 years, and convenience stores are now making it even easier to make good choices on the go. Some stores have taken their healthy offerings one step further by providing nutrition information on their quick offerings.
Things to Remember
- Gas stations bites are just that: bites. If you plan to make a meal out of your quick stop finds… you may find yourself making unhealthy choices later on in the day.
- Look for foods that are high in fiber, protein and healthy fats.
- Check the label! The fewer ingredients, the better.
- Limit highly processed foods since they are low in nutrients and high in sugar and, oftentimes, extra calories.
My Go-To Snacks
From protein-packed goodies to fresh and tasty noshes, these are my favorites to grab at the gas station. Just remember to stay away from the chips aisle. After all, temptation is the root of all mindless snacking choices.
- Hardboiled eggs
- String cheese
- Jerky or turkey sticks
- Protein Bars
- Veggies and hummus
- Greek yogurt
- Salted popcorn
- Fresh fruit
- Dark chocolate
- Bean or veggie chips
- Oatmeal cups (be wary of sugar with this option!)
Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice (& Giveaway!)
Perfectly cooked, fluffy brown rice EVERY TIME in about 30 minutes using the Instant Pot! Hands down the easiest way to cook brown rice and perfect for meal prep!
A lot of you have been asking for more Instant Pot recipes, but have mentioned you don’t know where to begin with using it so I figured why not start with literally the EASIEST thing you could ever make to get you comfy using your pressure cooker! You guys this method of cooking brown rice is a total game changer and I promise you won’t ever go back to cooking brown rice the old fashioned way again. Perfectly cooked, tender fluffy brown rice in the Instant Pot every. single. time.
I don’t know about you, but I have always hated cooking brown rice on the stove! I’ve just never seemed to get it just right meaning it either (a) boils over, (b) I completely burn the bottom, (c) the rice doesn’t cook enough or (d) ALL of the above. The Instant Pot totally solves this problem and is WAY easier than sitting there watching your brown rice cook (or burn) on the stove top. Also cooking brown rice on the stove can take up to almost an hour while you only need about 30 minutes or so in your pressure cooker!
Another great thing about using the Instant Pot is that you can just dump everything in, set it and LEAVE it. Pretty much like using a crock pot except waaaay quicker. And it just tastes so much better in my opinion!
Now this is just a basic brown rice recipe, perfect as a base for your meal prep or a yummy addition to your favorite stir fry (or meatballs!), but you could easily make any kind of rice using this method! Spanish rice, cilantro lime, fried rice….I mean just a few examples to get you started 😉
For this “recipe” (if you even want to call it that because it’s just so dang easy) I literally just used water and brown rice, TWO simple ingredients. You could also use chicken or veggie broth in place of the water for some added flavor of course or even add additional seasonings, but I wanted to keep this particular method as simple as possible for you.
As I mentioned above, I LOVE this for meal prep because it makes a ton of rice all at once with little to no effort giving you brown rice to go with the rest of your prepped meals for the week. If you prefer white rice you can still of course use this same method, except the cooking time will be much shorter.
And because I love my Instant Pot so much and plan on sharing tons more recipes, I decided to host a giveaway! Not one, but TWO lucky winners will each receive their very own Instant Pot and you can find all the details over on my Instagram! Simply make sure you’re following Eat Yourself Skinny on Instagram and tag others for additional entries, that’s it! I’m also sharing a video on my stories on how easy it is to make this rice so head on over to check it out!
Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2½ cups water (or chicken/vegetable broth)
- Combine rice and water in the bowl of your Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and lock (making sure the valve is on sealing and not venting), select the Manual setting and set the timer for 22 minutes. Now let rice cook.
- When done let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: ½ cup • Calories: 109 • Fat: 0.8 g • Saturated Fat: 0.2 g • Carbs: 22.9 g • Fiber: 1.8 g • Protein: 2.3 g • Sugars: 0 g • WW Freestyle Points: 4
Skillet Chili Garlic & Lime Shrimp
Sweet and flavorful Skillet Chili Garlic and Lime Shrimp that tastes amazing and is ready in just minutes! Perfect as an appetizer, on top of a salad or even as a main dish!
Boy do I LOVE shrimp, especially in the summertime. It’s fresh, delicious and only takes a few minutes to make! This recipe was inspired by my Asian Shrimp Salad with Ginger Sesame Dressing that I’m utterly obsessed with, which is honestly an understatement. The shrimp on that salad is just so incredible and has had tons of rave reviews that it just needed to be highlighted as its own dish. I’ve modified the sauce a bit, but this recipe still has all the same great flavors!
The ingredients in this dish are sure to make your mouth water too. I mean we’re talking delicious sweet chili sauce (isn’t this stuff the best?!), fresh ginger, garlic, honey, lime juice and of course a little soy sauce to bring everything together.
This shrimp dish is super versatile too so have fun with this recipe! You could serve this over rice, have a side of pasta, throw it on top of a salad, or even add more veggies to the skillet for an even more complete meal. I highly suggest broccoli, red bell pepper, or asparagus, but I mean the possibilities are endless. My hubby even likes to make these into skewers and throw them on the grill adding veggies to each skewer. You really can’t go wrong as long as you have this delicious marinade!
This is also a great recipe for for meal prep because this shrimp tastes even better the next day! Best part is you can enjoy this either hot or cold, although I personally prefer mine warmed up first. Definitely give it a try though and see what you think!
Also feel free to use fresh or frozen shrimp, just make sure the frozen shrimp is thawed completely. I always like to get shrimp that has already been peeled and deveined just to make life that much easier and I always leave the tails on because hello! Presentation! 🙂 Haha but you do whatever works for you of course.
If you like this recipe then be sure to check out these delicious dishes with the same great flavors!
Hope you all enjoy this delicious Skillet Chili Garlic and Lime Shrimp as much as we did and if you DO decide to make this, please make sure to tag Eat Yourself Skinny on Instagram so I can see all the yummy things you’re eating!
Skillet Chili Garlic & Lime Shrimp
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, chopped
- To make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, drizzle olive oil. Add shrimp and cook until it starts to turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add sauce and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is reduced, stirring regularly to coat shrimps with sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving Size: ¼th of recipe • Calories: 196 • Fat: 4.6 g • Saturated Fat: 0.8 g • Carbs: 13.2 g • Fiber: 0.4 g • Protein: 24.4 g • Sugars: 9.8 g • WW Freestyle Points: 3
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – Eat Yourself Skinny
EASY Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas with all your favorite Mexican flavors that makes the perfect healthy weeknight dinner easily made all on one pan in under 30 minutes! Perfect recipe for your Sunday meal prep too!
Yep I’m back at again with another sheet pan meal because they just make life so dang EASY! These Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are SO delicious and have all your favorite Mexican flavors right on one pan. Tender, juicy chicken, crisp peppers and onions, all tossed in a blend of spices like chili powder, cumin, garlic, and paprika, topped with fresh lime juice and cilantro. You guys, seriously SO GOOD.
And super easy to make, easy to clean and definitely easy to eat! Since my husband is eating low carb right now, he makes lettuce wraps with his chicken fajita mixture while I like to throw mine in a tortilla or over some brown rice. Either way this recipe is a winner and I love topping mine with extra lime, avocado slices, salsa and shredded cheese!
This whole meal can easily be prepped the night before too. Simply chop up all your veggies and the chicken, make your seasoning ahead of time as well and store everything in the fridge until you are ready to assemble. Then when you get home you can just throw everything onto your sheet pan and pop in the oven! These would also make delicious meal prep bowls too that you could serve with brown rice or even this cilantro lime cauliflower rice. Head over to my Instagram to see how easy it is to make brown rice right in your Instant Pot!
Also I get a lot of questions about what pans I use for my sheet meals and I’ve found these pans to be fantastic! They are nice and big with extra thickness for durability as well as deep so they can hold a lot of stuff. I also think the price point is super reasonable as well for this quality!
Being on maternity leave, even though I’m home all day, has had me so busy with the baby so sheet pan meals have been a total lifesaver over the past several weeks! We usually keep a ton of chicken (or fish) and veggies on hand so prepping these meals at night when she falls asleep is really easy and I can just throw everything into the oven the next day!
If you like this recipe then be sure to check out these other popular sheet pan meals:
Hope you all love these sheet pan chicken fajitas as much as we did and if you do make these, please mark sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see all the yummy things you’re eating!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch strips
- 3 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used red, yellow, green)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Optional toppings: sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, salsa
- Serve with flour tortillas or lettuce cups
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread chicken, peppers and onions on a baking sheet sprayed with some cooking spray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and oregano. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the chicken and peppers, tossing to coat and spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, tossing halfway through, and continue cooking until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through. (if you want some char on your veggies, remove chicken from baking sheet and pop veggies under the broiler for about 3 to 5 minutes until the edges start to char slightly.)
- Drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve with lettuce cups or tortillas and desired toppings. Enjoy!
Serving Size: ¼th of recipe • Calories: 316 • Fat: 11.8 g • Saturated Fat: 2.4 g • Carbs: 8.5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Protein: 41.7 g • Sugars: 4.8 g • WW Freestyle Points: 2
Lifestyle10 months ago
Three Green Vinaigrettes That’ll Add Flavor (and color) to Tonight’s Salad
Breakfast10 months ago
Vanilla Blueberry Yogurt Parfait With Steel Cut Oats
Fitness10 months ago
Pumpkin Spice Latte Recovery Workout
5 months ago
6 Easy Ways to Reduce Daily Stress
Challenge10 months ago
‘Tis the Season to #BurnTheTurkey
Health10 months ago
Incorporating Spaghetti Squash into Any Meal of the Day
Lifestyle10 months ago
Meal Prep Worksheet + Tips
Lifestyle10 months ago
Dreading Monday? Shake off the Sunday blues with these tips.